Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Lessons I Learned From Playing Basketball



 
Before freshman year of high school, my dad and mine's goal was to make the freshman basketball team. I had played basketball all my life, and my dad was very, very passionate about basketball.

To prepare, we would wake up around 6AM to go to the park. Usually it was very foggy. We had a simply routine which basically involved me shooting the basketball a couple of hundred times where he would retrieve the ball for me every time. I thought it was easier since I was doing the fun part, until one hour of consecutive shooting made more arms flimsy, but he still had the passion to pass me the ball every time, demanding me to be more accurate.
Sometimes he would yell at me if I got tired; other times we wouldn't be able to leave until I made ten consecutive free throws. The pressure and discipline was there, but nothing compared to what I would face in the future.

When basketball tryouts came out, I was very nervous. My dad and I had practiced all summer and this was a do-or-die moment. Like a job interview, I remember the tryouts were separated three parts. If you passed the first tryout, you advance. If you didn't, you would be cut and have to tryout next year. There ended up being two teams, a blue and a red team. Out of the 30 or 40 people who tried out, I ended up making it until the end - barely.
I was relieved and my dad was happy for me. My closest friends from middle school who I played basketball with every day in the morning, lunch, and afternoon ended up not making the team, so I kind of felt bad, but what I experienced in basketball practice, I look back and think maybe that got a break.
Basketball practice was something I had never experienced in my life. I thought basketball was supposed to be "fun". Instead, it was torturous. Our coaches demanded us to train like we had never trained before, for hours.
We didn't get to play a lot of basketball, much of it was drills I had never done before. We would do things like run around the school, while the last person had to run to the front of the line so he had to advance his speed quicker than the entire team whom were already running at a steady, face pace.
There was something called defensive stance, in which we were ordered to go into a defensive like stance. In this stance, you put on arm up and one arm down like you are guarding somebody. Your back posture had to remain straight. Your legs bent at the right angle, and most importantly, the soles of your feet can never touch the ground. The coaches would know if you were cheating if they could not slide a piece of paper halfway under your feet. Remaining in this posture for 10 minutes made people moan and groan.
We would do something called ditches, which everybody hated. Basically, it meant the entire team going literally to a big ditch. We would walk up and down these ditches at a 45 degree angle a hundred times. For people who complained, more were added. Towards the end, it felt like a never ending experience.
We would also do another drill called suicides. This was by far the most painful. At the end of a two hour practice where everybody was tired, in order for us to go home, the coach had everybody line up across the sideline of the basketball court. It was our job to run from sideline to sideline 17 times in 60 seconds or under. That means you have no more than 4 seconds to get from one side to another side, doing this consecutively for 17 times which coaches monitoring. If you failed, not only did no one get to go home, but the entire team would have to start over again.
When we did play, a lot of it was memorizing plays, nothing compared to the "free play" that I had been used to. This probably required to most internal pressure of practice mainly because others were trying to compete for your spot in order to start on the team. Often times, if you made one mistake, like I did, you would immediately put on the sidelines by the coach, and replaced by somebody else. You had to be alert at memorizing and obeying orders at all time.
Although we all thought our team was well trained during practice, we were not trained when it came to the real games. The coach was usually angry at us most of the times usually because of stupid mistakes we would make or our ability to win close games, but then blow it in the end.
Because I was scrawny at the time, the coach didn't have a lot of confidence in me so I didn't get to play much. I was usually the rooter (yes, you know that guy). The times when I did get to play, it was either really brief or when we knew that the game was ours, meaning we had won by a lot.
When we lost games however, the punishment was a long, quiet bus ride home or the coach yelling at us the entire way home. On top of that, more time in practice was spent which meant more drills, suicides, push-ups, memorizing plays, you name it.
To sum it up, my dream of what I thought being on the basketball team would be like, ended up to be hell in my first year of high school.
However, I did learn two important lessons from all of it. The first one was every ounce of pain that I went through made me a stronger person, from weight lifting after practice was over to boxing a person out and never letting him touch the ball. It was deadly competitive and I knew the coaches never respected anybody who made excuses. You either gave it all that you got or go home.
The second lesson is that I had been a pretty solid shooter up until that point. That was one of the best aspects of me was that I was skilled at shooting the ball from midrange. That is what separated me from other players, but I depended on that way too much. There's a saying basketball that says, "You live by the shot, you die by the shot."
I relied too much on the shot and realized that I was focusing too much on myself. No one cared if you knew how to shoot well, because frankly, it's easy to shoot well when nobody is on you, but when you have a good defender with long arms, it's nearly impossible. What's more important is doing a play right and getting a wide open shot, and that required teamwork - a team identity as one instead of an individual identity trying to separate himself from the team. When I look back on it, that's much of what I did. Basketball is a team game; it's never about one person. That's what wins games and championships.

How does playing basketball affect my life or somebody's life success? Well what I learned is that after going through one of the most painful experiences in my life, a lot of everything else after that never measured up. When joined other sports teams later and heard people complaining about running one lap around the school, I kid of just looked at them and said to myself, "Are you kidding me?"
The more pain you can endure from life, the more experience you get from it. I could of quit the basketball team at anytime, even when I didn't much playing time and even when it was taking hours away from my academics, but I didn't want to quit half way through and not gain the experience from finishing. Winners don't quit. They persevere. I don't think I would have that time of experience for something else.

Secondly, if you happen to be in an environment where you're working with people, you must learn to cooperate and think as a team. How can you help the team even if it's something small? You have to think in terms of not what is good for, but what is good for the team. By doing this, you're opening up yourself up to the full picture and making yourself a leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment